Monday, December 1, 2008

Like sand through the hourglass...

Handprints

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.

But every day I'm growing -
I'll be grown someday
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.

So here's a final handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.

Hadas brought this poem home from her English class (with a tracing of her hands), it brought me close to tears. Doesn't it choke you up, because it is so simple, yet so true? (And of course on top of that we had the house painted this summer and so we are very attuned to all the new fingerprints on the walls.)

When we read the poem together and I got all teary eyed, Hadas wanted to know what was wrong. I told her it makes me a little sad, since she is growing up so fast and soon she won't be a little girl anymore. So she told me not to worry, she will always be my daughter and love me. She is a very sweet girl, with a loose tooth. Another sign that she is growing up.

Ayelet is also growing up fast. Yesterday for instance, so would not let me help her in the shower, she kept closing the doors telling me to leave!! She is quite the character, and already very experienced at giving the "face". You know the one, pursed lips and a shoulder shrug.

Time goes by so quickly. I have to remember to savour these little girl moments, even as they scuff up the walls, floor and furniture and stain things and break things...

P.S. Did you notice I completely ignored the fact that I have blogged in over 6 months?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me another mother with three daughters who grew up so fast...but fortunately are always around...the best is yet to come. Enjoy.

Bubie X

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Welcome back to blogland! I'll set my task reminder for May to have the next look. ;-)
xo

Anonymous said...

Whazzup with the hot pink? I think i need sunglasses.

i can picture ayelet shoving you out of the bathroom, go girl!

miss you xo

ak