Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mothers and Daughters of the World Unite!



My sister Aimee sent me a link to a very funny video of this woman who summarizes (in song) everything a mom says in 24 hrs condensed into 3 minutes...


Listening to it, I recognized so many things that have been said to me and that I have said to Hadas, it made me feel one with mothers and daughters around the world. And of course I hear myself saying things my mother said to me - it is a vicious cycle - I mean beautiful.

(I wonder what the dad version would sound like... probably just a lot of gas and belching)

Hadas and I had a few rough mother-daughter moments last week. Ruby was away in France, and we were all tired and cranky. One night, it got to be a little too much and I ended up yelling at her (oh the guilt as I write this!), "YOU ARE MAKING IT HARD ON ME!", when she refused to get into the shower (and of course once in the shower refused to get out.) She responded by shouting back, "I DON'T WANT TO LIVE HERE ANYMORE!" So I said, "FINE!" Which lead her to cry out, "BUT WHERE AM I GOING TO GO?" Reality check. She is four. She is tired. Get a grip! Anyway, it all worked out in the end, and we declared our love for each other when I tucked her into bed.

Me: I love you all the way to the moon!

Hadas: I love you all the way to Hashem!

I have attempted to be more patient with her this week - even when she is tired and kvetchy and refuses to do the things I ask.

In other separation anxiety events...

At shul this past Shabbat, Hadas went outside to play with a couple of her friends, but was quickly back at my side.

Me: Hadas why don't you go play with your friends?

Her: Shrug.

Me: What's the matter?

Her: They are going very far, I am afraid I will get lost.

Me: That's good thinking, but as long as you stay in the front or the back of the shul and don't go near the road it is OK.

Her: OK.

Her two friends appear at the front... "Hadas, let's go already!" Off she goes.

I know I have to enjoy these little moments, of her not wanting to stray too far from me... they won't last forever - right Mum? (Not that I was trying to get away from you!)


I also have to savour the way Hadas runs to me when I pick her up from gan in the afternoon, or the way Ayelet smiles when she sees me when I come to pick her up at the end of the day, or even if I come back into the room.

The words of the mother may be condensed into 3 minutes, but the love lasts forever.

I hope you all have a love filled week!

P.S. Mazal Tov to Max (and the whole family) on becoming Bar Mitzvah this past weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First post! Another nice blog, deb. Next time you should go to Paris...

Xo

AK

Anonymous said...

Yes I should go, but I don't even have to go that far... any hotel by myself for the night would be good too.

Anonymous said...

As a mother (and grandmother)..it's rewarding to see that one's daughter's "finally get it" and me. Of course I also have to reflect on my relationship with my mother and admit she wasn't as wrong about things as I thought at the time. The bottom line...lets me nice to each other...we're each other's most precious gifts. While we're at it let's me nice to the men and boys too.

Love Bubie X