Sunday, November 18, 2007

Million Dollar Blues

Two weeks ago, Hadas and I stopped at SuperPharm (the Israeli Shoppers Drug Mart), they were having a sale on hair accessories, so I told Hadas she could pick something. She chose a set of hairbands - you know the plastic kind in gold, silver, brown and an assortment of other colours. In the recent past I had purchased another set of hairbands for her, which were broken within a week (she wanted to see how flat she could make them, snap! Reminds me of a bridge made out of toothpicks), so I told her to be careful with these ones.

Ruby was home with the girls last week (I was out with work in the evening), and was getting Hadas ready for bed. She was wearing one of her beloved hairbands, and as she took of her shirt, it caught and snapped in two. She burst into tears and Ruby could not console her!

Ruby: It's OK Hadasi!

Hadas: No! Mummy is going to be so mad!

Ruby: No, it's OK, Mummy won't be mad. I'll buy you new ones.

Hadas: But you don't understand, it cost millions!

Ruby: I don't think it cost millions.

Hadas: Yes it did, they are gold and silver!

Ruby: I promise I have enough money to buy you new ones.



I think she was close to demanding bank statements as proof.

In other wasted income news... Yesterday morning I was giving the girls breakfast and opened the cupboard to put away the cereal, CRASH!! Two large jars of tomato sauce (the kind I have only just found again!) came crashing down at my feet! Tomato sauce all over the floor, the walls, the cupboard, my pajamas and slippers! I called Ruby into the kitchen to carry the girls out and proceeded to spend the next hour and a half cleaning up the glass and sauce. Plus I had a cut in my foot! Don't worry I am OK! Although I did use it to my advantage when telling Hadas why I couldn't play on the floor with her.

That playpen we talked about last week has really come in handy... Ayelet really gets around. Ruby was "watching" her, while I was resting on Friday (all ten minutes of it), and I heard Ayelet talking loudly. I went outside and saw Ruby sleeping on the couch and Ayelet crawling under the dining room table. Don't worry, he has been thoroughly chastised.


A couple special messages:

@Karen - have a great trip! Love you!

@ Bubie - I told Hadas you asked if there was something she wanted for Hanukkah -- there is, a beautiful dress for her Bat Mitzvah. The girl plans ahead what can I say?

Shavua Tov Everybody!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Hadasi! At least she has jewelry standards down pat.

And if you tether ayelet to ruby he won't sleep thru her wanderings again.

Xo
Ak

Anonymous said...

The Queen of England would keep a stiff upper lip if one of her tiaras had a mishap...our Hadasi values her jewels...think of the possibilites.."Don't get those clothes dirty...they're sown with golden threads"

You better not let Ayelet play with your keys..she'll be out the door and driving away in a few months at this rate.

Anonymous said...

As long as Hadas is afraid of your wrath - you're doing a great parenting job! LOL.
thanks for the new post - love it. can't remember if it was you who destroyed my toothpick bridge or karen...
xo
aimee

Deborah Langer said...

yup, the wrath of deborah is a powerful thing :-)

it was me who destroyed your bridge, sorry :-(

Anonymous said...

and you call yourself a 'bridge-builder'. xo