Wednesday, August 29, 2007

International Spy

My girls are bilingual. If you count the Spanish from Dora, the French from the girls at gan, the smattering of Yiddish words that come up, Hadas actually speaks 5 languages (she could be an international spy)! And, well of course Ayelet doesn't speak yet, but she is already exposed to several languages, so I am sure she will have no problems getting confused too.




One of my mother's favourite language stories took place in The Gap.

Hadas was two (the picture is from that trip), the saleswoman came over to us and started talking to Hadas.

Saleswoman: Hi sweetie!

Hadas smiles shyly.

Saleswoman: How old are you?

Hadas: Bat shnatayim.

Saleswoman: What sweetie, how old are you?

Hadas a little more firm: Bat shnatayim.

My mother intervenes and explains to the saleswoman.

Mum: She understands your question, but she is from Israel and is answering in Hebrew.

Hadas leaning out of her stroller and says in her best Israeli accent: I speak 'Eebrew.

There was laughter all around!

She has since learned to put on a phony Canadian accent when speaking English.

I often forget that Hadas is only four and still learning. Many things, including language and words are still new to her. She had two friends come over to play a while back (one French speaker and one Hebrew speaker - Israel is quite the -- melting pot? salad bowl?) and I set up a department store in her room. I created different sections for toys, books, food etc. Each girl received a purse with some money for their purchases which of course they paid for at the cashier's station. (I know you are impressed, you thought I would plunk them down in front of the TV.)


As I left the room, I said to Hadas, "Don't forget to give them change when they buy something!" I went to play with Ayelet and listened to the background noise of happy shoppers.** I went to check on the girls after a little while and saw Hadas tearing up little bits of paper and giving them to her friends.

Me: Hadas, what are you doing?

Hadas: Giving change, like you said.

Me: Do you know what change is?

Hadas: No.

Me: Oops, my bad. (I didn't actually say that, but I thought it)


** Side note on shopping (if my mother hasn't told you about it already). One's penchant for shopping is established at an early age, and you retain the like or dislike of this activity into your adulthood! Fascinating!




Look for future posts about one of my favourite aspects of bilingualism, Hadas's free translations from Hebrew to English and vice versa.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this blog...maybe it's the reference to moi ...looking forward to more "Hadasisms"

BubieX

Anonymous said...

Ayelet - I love you!

AK

Anonymous said...

Thanks AK. It is important to remember those less mentioned :-)

Anonymous said...

Deb, my daughter Racheli is like that...she'll talk to me in English, and then turn to the neighbor and ask the exact same question in perfect Hebrew...and she's only almost 3!

Great blog,
Sarah