Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What's yours is mine, what's mine is... well, mine too

*Note: I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to read my blog and write your comments! Yesterday we got to 9 comments! No pressure folks! I have actually read some blogs where the comments are more interesting than the blog. I have no problem being upstaged by you all, so feel free, I may even comment you back. BTW - clicking on the title of a blog entry will enable you to see all the comments.



Now onto today's blog.

As a brand new big sister, Hadas was ready to share everything with Ayelet. Even before JB was born, Hadas would tell Ruby and I of her grand plans for sharing.

"The baby can sleep in my bed with me. I will hold him so he doesn't fall out." (She was convinced we were having a boy - but was not disappointed with a sister.)

"If the baby cries in the middle of the night, you don't have to come, I will read him a book."

"The baby can play with all my toys!"

I thought, "Wow, I must be doing something right to have produced such a sweet child who is willing to share all her things with the new baby. This parenting thing is a snap!" Now, it's not that Hadas has gone back on her word per se, just the conditions of her commitment have been changed.

"You have to ask me if you want to put Ayelet on my bed. OK, now take her off."

"Her crying is bothering me to sleep."

"I can play with all of Ayelet's toys!" (and anything I find in Mummy's purse)

Hadas is always playing with Ayelet's toys (all unleaded I hope) - she claims she is teaching her how to use them. She finds immense pleasure in coming up with new innovations for everything - every teething ring, a bracelet or anklet (I know very hygienic). Every blanket (thanks Auntie Karen) becomes at first a veil (she is dying to be a bride), then a cloak, skirt, picnic table cloth, or a tent to place over the baby arch so that she and Ayelet can hide underneath.

She of course then gets bored, crawls out and leaves poor Ayelet in the dark (and then I have to put down my book and pull off the blanket - is a mother's work never done!). (I keep saying that I read, it's true sometimes - do Hebrew subtitles count?)

But when it comes to using her things to entertain Ayelet, like the NYC magic wand (thanks Auntie Aimee et al)... "You have to ask me!" I guess I must blame myself for this, I taught her not to just take things but to ask first. (Not that she follows this rule when it comes to digging through my purse and using my telephone in one her imaginary classroom scenes.)

Although she can also be very gracious with her belongings, sort of.

Her: Jelly can have my Dora DVD (no lead here either)

Me: That is very nice of you to share with her.

Her: No, she can have it, you can buy me a new one.

That girl is smart. She got this from Ruby (not the smarts, that's from me). She gets his hand-me-down electronics so he can acquire newer versions and she has cleverly applied this to the toy situation.

Of course I have to put her in her place, "I bought it. It's mine and I let you use it." That one will definitely come back to bite me in the bum.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One could daydream and extrapolate out into time and what could be handed-down and then handed-up...cars, boyfriends, trips etc. etc.

very amusing..you should publish

Anonymous said...

I was trying to come up with a better ending for this blog...BX didn't really help..but good try.

If anyone has any suggestions...

Anonymous said...

Deborah - I am enjoying reading this. Are you sure you have time in between Oprah and whatever else you've TiVo'd? You are a wonder woman!

Love you!

Deborah Langer said...

Thanks Kare.

I can see that it will become difficult to write it on a daily basis, not for lack of material, but I have to watch the new shows coming to Yes.

I may have to reduce the length of some of the entries.. some real food for thought stuff and let the comments flow...

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you've got the riffraff showing up soon to take on the child care load so you can devote your time to Yes. Can't wait to hear what the Israeli versions of 'the singing bee' and 'power of 10' are.

Also, note the absence of Ruby's hands in your photo...a message?

:-)

K

Deborah Langer said...

Yes. it will be good to have the riff raff around.

are those new game shows?

i won't comment on the ruby thing here but i'll address it in a future blog...